Thursday 5 September 2013

Elva do

 
 
So I'm at a wedding recently (my third this year) and it suddenly dawned on me: I'm officially an adult.
 
Now I realise I should have realised this sooner, but there's nothing like a wedding, of one of your peers, who's younger than you, to make you start evaluating yourself.  No longer is it relevant to assume that the lady in question must be up the duff. No longer is it an acceptable response to say 'Congratulations!, What's the rush?' (in hindsight I'm not sure that it ever was actually...whoops). It is in fact, entirely peculiar for the first thought in my head to be: 'Shit, what's her dad going to say?!' (note: this is my same response whenever I hear a friend is pregnant). And yet I still think like that, I still think like a 17 year old.
 
Until recently that is. Whilst eagerly awaiting the bride's entrance at a wedding over the Summer I thought, for the first time: I wonder what I'd wear? Surprising really, seeing as just moments earlier I'd been the butt of (another) one of my boyf's inappropriate japes. As Best Man, he'd been given responsibility for the rings. I was stood chatting with a few pals, in the middle of about 50 other wedding guests - whom I'd never met, most of whom had never met boyf and of whom about a third started to gasp and point behind me. Turning to see what the commotion was about, I see boyf, ON ONE KNEE in front of me, holding out a ring box. AT SOMEONE ELSE'S WEDDING. Now, I did what every girl would do in that situation - swore. Loud and fast. And a lot. A sort of convulsion ensued...
 
What seemed like an hour passed, in fact was about 2.5 seconds, after which boyf laughed and said "Can you put this box in your handbag, it's too bulky to carry around in my suit pocket".
 
Yep. That's my world.
 
Now this isn't an attempt to make you feel sorry for me, it's more of an illustration of the miracle that was my thought that afternoon, whilst expectantly looking down the aisle...
 
I couldn't help but wonder, what would I go for? Well, I'm a gal who doesn't subscribe to the 'I'm getting married so I must grow my hair long, ringlet it to within an inch of it's life and wear white satin shoes'. Just think about that for a second, in what realm would anyone in real life wear white satin shoes and think that that's ok? I don't care if they're designer, they're SATIN SHOES. Ok, ok, moving on...
 
...just imagine my delight then when I stumbled across these Elva Fields delights from designer Emily Wheat Maynard. She began the range after her own wedding,  when she designed most of the jewellery worn by guests. Made in her Taylorsville, KY studio, Elva Fields teams vintage with modern colour pops and each design is just sublime. Fabulously, Emily also works with brides to incorporate family heirlooms into the pieces. Have a gander at some picks below, from current and past collections - I definitely know who I'm calling when I get the ring and not just the box!
 
These were all found at http://shop.elvafields.com/
 

 
 
 

 
 
 
 
Add caption
 
 
 
 




 

 

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment