Wednesday 14 November 2012

9021Oh


Net-a-porter recently ran a story on 90s fashion, heralding a “time of cropped sweaters, high-waisted jeans and logo tees. Supermodels were celebrities. Kurt and Courtney the reigning king and queen and mixed tapes played Biggie and Bone Thugz ‘n’ Harmony.”

Now 29, I was a nineties teenager. I loved TLC’s music and style (before it was blatantly ripped off, badly may I add, by the terrible girl band All Saints), thought me buying Crossroads by Bone Thugz on single meant I really had my finger in the pulse of urban hip hop (before it was ruined by ‘I want to punch every last one of you in the face’ Blazin’ Squad) and I actually thought Jason Priestley and Shannen Doherty were the ultimate couple (before that was ruined by, well, Shannen Doherty being a mentalist)…sensing a theme? I still don’t really understand the goings on with Biggie and Tupac but I’m pretty sure that cropped sweaters, in any decade, are wrong. Makes me think…If I could go back and give my 14 year old self a good shake, what would I tell her? 1. Stop it with the centre parting bob, it’s not a good look on many people, and barely anyone over the age of six.  2. Belly button piercings do not make you cool, or older. They just pull attention to your ‘puppy' fat. 3. ‘Puppy' fat at 14years old = ‘a mars bar a day too many’ – puberty is a bitch and you can’t escape it, just stop eating so damn much. 4. AJ from the Backstreet Boys really is a bad choice. Stop fancying him. 5. Armlets are a no no for you – refer back to #2. I could go on...

The 90s were marvellous, here’s an ode to that decade with some modern pieces…but the question is: would you still team these pieces with high waisted jeans??
etsy.com



regalrose.bigcartel.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment